[OM] Re: IMG: yum yum

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: yum yum
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:39:24 -0500
Chuck, et al:

This is a very confusing issue for me. Many pro photographers advise
setting Photoshop to North American Press 2 and Adobe RGB (1998)
to create files that work best with Photoshop's color controls. If I set it
to sRGB it warns me that my Creative Suite 2 color controls are
"unsynchronized." Adobe RGB (1998) is said also to allow better
monitor color display and throw colors off if set otherwise. But, then
they tell us that for the best inkjet reproduction one needs to use/send
sRGB files.

So--should one set both camera and Photoshop to Adobe RBG (1998)
and convert the working files to sRGB knowing that  the lab will do that
if we don't; or should one shoot sRGB, convert to Adobe RBG (1998) for
Photoshop work and back to sRGB for printing of sending to a lab? Or
should one set Photoshop and the camera to sRGB and say to heck with
it? Or...? Or...? Or...? You get the picture.  :o( I understand that it is not
possible to turn Photoshop's color controls "off." Attempting such just
switches Photoshop to some sort of a generic color mode--creating more
problems for the printer.

All I want is for my camera, my monitor, my scanner, Photoshop and
printer (mine or the labs) either to match or to have a satisfactory working
approximation thereto. (Yes, Virginia. I do believe in Santa Claus. Well, a
little bit, anyway.) There must be a way to accomplish this. I thought I was
doing OK until I started reading all those opinions.

Anyone have any sage guru advice that will cut through the b*s*?

Robert