[OM] Re: E-330 metering

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 metering
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:15:30 -0600
On Feb 19, 2008 10:44 AM, Warren Kato <wkkato@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you would help me get my head around this issue, I'm going to the slot
> canyons of S. Utah in a few weeks and I dug up my notes from my prior OM-4T
> (wonderful camera-still have it) and the exposures were around f8, 15
> seconds. Will the E-330 handle this? The Japan E-330 site says metering
> range of EV 2 to 20 at 100 ISO. I would like to shoot at f8 or f5.6 with the
> 11-22.
>
> If it gets cloudy above the canyons I would expect another loss of light of
> 3 stops or so, meaning f8, 2 min (f5.6 1 min or f4, 30 sec).  Will the
> metering system handle this?
>
> I could always take to OM4-T but this seems a step backwards.
>
> Warren

Hey Warren,
I bought my (first!) OM-4T to deal with the S.Antelope slot canyon
(the spot reading in auto mode, you know), though I shot equally well
(for my standards) with the OM-2S in auto mode.  No reciprocity
issues, good exposures on slide.  I thought it actually turned out to
be a fairly easy place to shoot.

I don't have a scientific answer for you, but I would take the 330 and
not look back. You've got usable ISOs from 100 to 1600 and you won't
need the top end if the canyon is really going to yield the desired
results photographically (i.e., good reflected light off the walls).
The location seems more severe in the mind than it really is IMHO.
I'd probably start at ISO 200 and bracket by ISO.

I've got my 330 set so that it AF focuses with the AEL button.  If
you've gotten the firmware update, you can also focus with the AEL
button in LV and do a quick check at 10X to make sure it nailed
critical focus, and then switch LV off.  I wouldn't use LV for the
long exposures, but YMMV especially if you take a lot of batteries.

Joel W.