[OM] Re: E-330 metering

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 metering
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:15:11 -0500
Before you go try some 15, 30, 60 and 120 second exposures in a dark
room or with the lens cap on in order to check for hot pixels.  I assume
(but don't know) that the 330 has provision for hot pixel subtraction by
taking another exposure with the shutter closed and subtracting the
dummy one from the real one.  Sensors heat up during long exposures
which can create noise in the form of hot pixels... pixels that light up
that shouldn't be lit.  I would also do some tests of the same type at
higher ISO's.  I have no knowledge of the likely result but it seems
possible to me that hot pixels could be either worse or better at 100
ISO and 120 seconds vs 200 ISO and 60 seconds.

I wouldn't worry about the metering... a test shot or two and review of
the histogram will get the exposure right better than the meter.  I'd
worry more about the sensor heating up in a 2 minute exposure.

Chuck Norcutt