[OM] Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB (was Yum Yum)

Subject: [OM] Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB (was Yum Yum)
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:10:41 -0000
Hi All,

Just to weigh in with my opinion (not based on anything but my own
procedures - which seem to work for me).

I shoot in Adobe RBG.  Everything is processed in Adobe RGB, 16-bit,
300ppi.  PSD files are saved as such.  I then have a PS action set up to
create a Hi-Res sRGB 8-bit JPEG from the finished PSD file (which I send
off for printing if required), and yet another action set up to create a
Lo-Res sRGB 8-bit JPEG - resized to 800 pixels on the longest side and
72ppi - which I then use for posting on the web, browsing on my
computer, etc.

As someone else here has posted, adobe RGB has a wider dynamic range or
something like that.  My logic is that it is better to work with that,
and then convert to sRGB at the final stage.  I must admit to having
done zero comparative testing with this, so YMMV, etc....

To add further to this - I consider it critical that if the printing lab
you are sending the files to is going to work in sRGB then you must send
them the files in sRGB.  Never trust their "automated systems" to
convert for you.  I have discovered this when I sent 250 files off to
get 6x4's of them all as proofs, only to discover that the files were in
Adobe RGB.  The prints came back looking wrong, to varying degrees
depending on picture content.  Generally, slightly milky with a slight
green hue to the whites.

In my case, I use PhotoBox and they clearly state that files should be
sent in sRGB format (for prints up to silly-big-size at least).  My
stupid fault really, I knew it and didn't check the files I was sending.

Hope this helps.  It is only my opinion, and would welcome the thoughts
of others more knowledgeable than I ;-)

Regards,

Jon