[OM] Re: OM Zuiko lenses on E series digital bodies

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Zuiko lenses on E series digital bodies
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 02:07:50 +0000 (GMT)
Moose, I take your points on board.
 It is just that I have a soft spot for the little bugger! That
PARTICULAR camera lasted far better than I could reasonably expect- it
survived everything that I threw at it..but I was lucky. The OM 10 in
general was an opportunity lost.
 As an aside the only Olympus camera that let me down in the field was
a beater OM2n which suddenly developed sticky magnet syndrome. This was
totally my fault! I left it on the car dashboard near Yellowstone
whilst we had a picnic. Came back to find the sun was now shining
directly through the screen on to the camera which was gently cooking
:-O
 I think the lube got into lots of places where it should not have
been.
Even after cla I lost confidence in it and retired it.
               John Duggan
--- Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I speak generically, or statistically, or whatever, not anecdotally.
> As
> a whole, the OM-10 sticky magnet debacle had a huge negative effect
> on
> Oly's quality reputation and cost Oly and their distributors a ton of
>
> money. See below.

> The OM-10 was designed as an economical amateur camera.  Inside, it
> has
> plastic gears and shafts where earlier OM's had metal parts -- and
> _that_ I suspect was where the problem started.  To make the shutter
> work "smoothly" (my analysis), the plastic gears were liberally
> doused
> with shutter oil (an indisputable fact).

Regards
  John Duggan,
     Wales, UK