[OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose

Subject: [OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose
From: Paul Shields <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:36:45 +0000

On 20 Feb 2008, at 15:44, AG Schnozz wrote:

>> very old one, on the other hand if DNG don't get support from
>> camera manufacturers and other software house how long will it
>> last?
>
> Exactly.  Honestly, I don't think there is a RAW format more
> proprietary than DNG.  DNG only came out because of the spat between
> Adobe and Nikon--which I believe Adobe 'manufactured'.  Instead of
> cowtowing to Nikon, they are trying to get the entire industry to
> cowtow to them. Until Nikon and Canon support DNG natively, I don't
> see it as becoming the standard for the ages. Honestly, keep an eye
> on Microsoft--whatever Microsoft decides to do will become the
> "standard".  And so far, they are playing nice with the camera
> companies.

Lord protect us from Microsoft and their HD Photo !

The main reason why some manufacturers (not all!) are not actively
supporting DNG is that it is not in their interests to do so. They
would rather keep you using their own editors as much as possible (and
often will try and charge you extra for the privilege). Of course,
Adobe will have their own motives to try and push their standard, but
it is far less proprietary than a manufacturer's RAW format. Adobe
define and publish the specification right down to the smallest detail
and provide an SDK and an API for their DNG format (sorry for all the
TLA's). Show me even one RAW provider that even hints at what is
contained within their file format.

>> In case my RAW images get no support in the future, I can always
>> convert them to the new format before it happen.
>
> Isn't that what PRINTS are for?

No, that's what negatives are for ;).