[OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:12:13 -0500
At 05:27 PM 2/21/2008, Richard Lovison wrote:

>The FC-60 is 500mm at f8 or 1000mm effective on the E-1.  My 1 sec
>exposure in the second image was underexposed as I had to increase the
>EV by 0.7 in RAW development and thus the noise came up a bit. Your
>exposures were closer to being optimal.

I'm not sure about optimal but they were exposed just short of
clipping using the highlight warning on the E330 screen.

>  Later exposures during totality
>were at 3.2 seconds at ISO 200 though all were a bit soft.

Everything I've found on the web so far recommends a maximum shutter
speed of 1/2 to one second with a 500mm lens to prevent blurring from
subject (moon) motion.  I'm surprised that your second image, at one
second if I remember correctly, looks as sharp as it does.  Guess
those rules of thumb can be fudged a little. ;-)

>The Takahashi is extremely sharp with high resolution and would have
>performed better piggybacked on the Meade with the drive running.

Which Meade do you have and have you tried any photography with it,
other than using the Tak piggyback?

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson