[OM] lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs capture 1

Subject: [OM] lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs capture 1
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Feb 2008 02:09:32 -0000

There are a lot of different software packages out there and I'm trying to
wade through them and figure out what I need and don't need. I briefly
tried capture 1 (30 day trial) and lightroom (30 day trial) and oly master
(came with camera) and for the life of me I cannot figure out what I need and
why --
--
I envision that I would keep the images organized in a directory tree with
raw+jpg output from the camera (if I do this what does lightroom grant me?).

I envision that from time to time I will need to do a batch adjust to all
images (wb is off or similar).

I envision that from time to time I will want to do a batch downscale of
selected images (for web output).

I envision I will from time to time want to crop an image or adjust
sharpness/noise reduction.
--
It seems like all the software can handle the above list. I realize that
I would require lightzone or ps to (for example) layer an image and adjust
contrast or curves in a small section of hte print (a corner that is too
dark for example) - i think studio also allows this operation.
--
I guess the question is - will the free software (oly master) do 99.99% of
what I need and generate the best output (raw conversion) with minimal effort
or should I be seriously considering another package? (in using lightroom
and capture I - i mostly try them for cropping/examining raws 1:1 and similar.)
I was unable to figure out how to have capture 1 or lightroom do batch
processing (or oly master for that matter).
-
Obviously given that these package cost from $100 to $250 I'd like to avoid
cruft. Then again if in the long run it will save me a lot of headache (and
time) I'd like to pick the 'right' package the first time.
--
One advantage of oly studio is it will do distortion correction on oly lenses
(then again one disadvantage is that it only works only oly raws).

photos -> may2008neverland -> web
       -> june2009otherland -> web
       -> ...

Thanks,