[OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs captu

Subject: [OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs capture 1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:29:16 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> <big snip>
> Distortion correction can be done by most photo editing software, as
> mentioned above, I believe you will need one besides the RAW converter.

Again I seem to be a shill for PTLens, although I have no connection
other than as a very happy user.

All the RAW converters and editors that have a distortion correction
function require you to do it by eye. Many contemporary WAs, especially
zooms, have a complex form of distortion, not pure barrel.

If you roll the mouse back and forth, you can clearly see the form of
distortion on one lens.'Fraid I don't have any Olys to show. In any
case, the correction was done using PTLens - in a second or two.
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Morro%20Bay/Oak01.htm>

To correct this with PS, etc., would take some fussing and inevitably be
a compromise. PTLens has a database of lenses with distortion info at
various focal lengths. If it can read your image EXIF and the lens is in
the database, it simply makes the correction. If not, you may choose
from any camera/lens combo that's in the database.

Any AF lens for a DSLR that isn't in the database he will add if you
send sample shots fitting his criteria. Here are the lenses currently
supported:

    4/3 Lenses

multiplier = 2.0
Zuiko Digital 7-14mm f/4.0
Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED
Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 ED
Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED
Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2.0 Macro

As $15 for lifetime use and upgrades for both stand-alone and plug-in
versions, it's a steal. DXo does the same thing (as well as other
things?) for fewer models and LOTs more money.

Moose