[OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:07:24 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Nearly my own setup too... f/10 Celestron 8 with OM-1 and off-axis
> guider.  Too damned hard.  That's why I gave it up.  Deep sky
> astrophotography that is.  I still have the OM-1 and Celestron 8 with
> 1970's technology variable frequency oscillator for the clock drive.

Ah, my mistake.  The 2080 optics are f/10 as well.

My biggest difficulty was trying to achieve sharp focus when doing deep
sky work.  Until I purchased a Spectra SureSharp, I rarely had any
images that were usable. The SureSharp was a nifty device using a Ronchi
screen that mounted over your camera's t-ring. You would bring a fairly
bright star into view and focus viewing through the SureSharp until a
particular pattern was seen.  Then you would just replace the SureSharp
with your camera body and slew the telescope to the position to take
your image.

Richard