[OM] Re: Alternatives to ZD 50-200

Subject: [OM] Re: Alternatives to ZD 50-200
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:42:17 +0000
On 22/02/2008, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ian, are you considering legacy stuff?  I think the Tamron SP
>  80-200/2.8 is superb.  Personally, I don't try to use AF much for
>  action/sports anyway, so the 50-200 has been primarily an improvement
>  in weight for the most part over the Tamron.

The portability, and ease of use with IS, in addition to techno-lust
are my main reasons for wanting a 50-200.  I do in fact have a Tamron
SP80-200 f/2.8 (albeit with a tiny bit of fungus on the rear element)
and an adapter to use it with an E-System body.  Haven't really tried
using it much, as I also find manual focusing tricky with these modern
digital gadgets.