[OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 02:50:54 -0800
Richard Lovison wrote:
> Moose,
>
> Actually in this instance and in the OM list forum only, I didn't mind your
> experiment and your post of it
It seems to me that you are uncomfortable with my modification of your
images. I will no longer do so.

I do want to say I don't waste my time on images I don't already like.
:-)  I choose yours as the best of those posted to use as an example of
how the degrading effects of shooting through so much atmosphere may be
somewhat corrected.

Perhaps I should have been more precise in wording my post with your
image. Something like "Absent, due to cloud cover, my own shot of the
eclipse to doctor..." Certainly I wasn't claiming a general lack of my
own shots to play with.
> though I would like to suggest something... how about you take that wonderful
> gift you have of
> combining graphic arts with photography and apply it to your work and share
> that.  I would love to see what you alone have to offer. :)

I post images I've made pretty regularly. My most recent image post was
two days ago, and included both before and after processing versions in
full frame and highly cropped versions. Some might even find the subject
more engaging than the moon. :-)
-------------
"Here's an image that shows how it does with high dynamic range light.
iso 400, f4.8 (wide open), 44.4mm (210mm eq.) 1/200 sec., -1/3 EV. From
a JPEG. <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/A650/Candid.htm> "
-------------

In most cases where I post my own images, I don't post before and after,
just my then latest version.

I don't recall if I posted a link to my little Thai restaurant album on
the zone-10 gallery before two days ago, but certainly not more than a
day or two before that. I posted my sandwich shots all of two weeks ago.
Good, bad or in between, I post my images fairly often. Absent comment
to the contrary in the post or the image presentation itself, they have
all had the benefit(?) of my "wonderful gift".

In some cases, what I do after the camera capture is minimal. The first
image in the zone-10.com album, for example is very much like it came
out of the camera. I cropped it to fit the framing I had in mind when I
took it, which didn't happen to match the aspect ratio of the camera,
and did just a very light touch of LCE.
<http://image66media.com/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=346>

Others in that series were more heavily adjusted. Here, I choose to
bring up the shadow detail in the figure to show the wonderful surface
carving and finish details. Then I experimented with ways to minimize
the very busy background. I ended up using cropping and a version of the
background with less apparent DOF (one of the blessing/curses of small
sensors)  and lowered contrast, making the harsh, direct, late afternoon
light softer, less harsh. Here are the original out of the camera, an
intermediate step before altering the background and the last version in
a roll over. <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/A650/Greeter.htm>

Here, I found the vertical perspective distortion of the piece of
graphic art included in the image unpleasant. So I corrected that.
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/A650/Hand.htm>

Moose