[OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:55:50 +0100
Quoting Moose (24/02/08):
>On balance, I think the Ultrapod may be the better product. Less
>flexible on an uneven surface and quirkier to aim and lock, but not
>subject to collapsing under weight. On the other hand, it's base is
>smaller, so it would be easier to knock over with a large camera and
>lens on it. It's closer in size to the medium gorilla. Maybe a larger,
>#3 size Ultrapod will show up one day.

I was thinking that the Gorillapod was noticeably larger and stronger than the
Ultrapod. Is it not the case? I have used an Ultrapod with my OM-4 plus 35-105
zoom, and it was OK, although the head was flimsy. I have never even seen a
Gorillapod (except on pictures). How would you compare them ?

These days, my small tripod of choice (with the E-1 or the D200) is an old
Leica table tripod (which I got for cheap on *Bay), with a small RRS BH-25
tripod head. Not much bigger than the ultrapod, and inspires more confidence...
Very stable.

Bernard