[OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose

Subject: [OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:59:09 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yup, I bought it some time ago but haven't shot an event since.  Just as well
> because I haven't figured out how to use it.  I have the Luminous Landscape
> 1,000 hour long video tutorial but I haven't been able to drag myself through
> more than the first hour.

That exciting, huh? And here I've been thinking about trying their
printing video.
> Yes, it's for processing lots of images in a similar manner but it's also
> much more than that.  What it isn't is an image editor.
That seems to be a matter of individual definition. I certainly don't
consider it an image editor, so it drove me nuts. I could only go part
way, then had to move to PS.

But there seem to be lots of folks who want no more than the modest, to
me, levels, curves, WB, contrast, brightness and such controls it does
have (and something like LCE after the beta?). For them, it's an editor.

It seems to me that there is a continuum between pure RAW converter,
like the DOS prompt, no visuals, but very capable, dcraw, and full
featured editors, with PS as the overkill posterboy. LR is somewhere in
the middle, with a pretty comprehensive set of overall image
adjustments. Hmmm, what am I doing defending something I hated? Must be
the Spock principle.
> It does not replace PhotoShop for anything beyond basic raw conversion,
> exposure and color correction and cropping.
>
> Since I have PhotoShop CS3 I also have Bridge.  But for what Bridge does I
> much prefer Breeze Browser.  But, AFAIK, Breeze Browser won't allow me to
> open a JPEG in ACR so I'm forced to use Bridge from time to time.

Yeah, I use FastStone, which is much like BB for that purpose, but also
need bridge to open a JPEG in ACR. I'm not sure I see much advantage in
that, though.

How do you find processing a JPEG in ACR useful? It's nice to be able to
slide the WB slider, but without any absolute K settings, not that big a
deal so far. I'm probably missing something.

Moose