[OM] Re: OT: in the UK, who is responsible for goods damaged in transit?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: in the UK, who is responsible for goods damaged in transit?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:25:55 -0800
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> If the smiley wasn't there, I'd swear this was a man who'd never read Kafka.
> <wink>

Never having been on the wrong end of the class, political, etc.
spectrum in an authoritarian state (so far), I am perhaps too sanguine.

I also heave dealt with the IRS at the corporate level (beat 'em in
court!) and had a couple of friends (one a pretty good MF photog) who
did so for a living. So I've seen the other side. Agents and offices are
rated much like businesses, on return. Spending time beating taxpayers
up over little things that can't, by their nature, return much
additional tax revenue for the time spent, just results in poor
performance reviews and lack of promotion.

The Infernal Revenue Service exists to generate income, tax revenue,
hence the name. Putting people in jail increases gov't costs, not
revenue, so is not their preferred choice. Settlement over prosecution.

I also don't knowingly cheat on my taxes am lucky enough to know
competent tax counsel and be able to afford it in a pinch. They aren't
much interested in folks in my, even more modest since retirement, tax
bracket for audits. The return on investment just isn't there.

So Kafka has little relevance for my exterior life. As a chronicler of
certain aspects of interior, psychological life, though, he was quite
exceptional. I wouldn't want to meet his superego in a dark alley. ;-)

Moose