[OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: Yesterday's Lunar Eclipse
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:01:34 -0500
Yes, the E-type had inboard discs which was the reason the entire
differential and suspension system were enclosed in a steel cage.  The
downside was that doing any brake work beyond just changing pads (such
as turning the discs) required dropping the entire rear suspension out
of the car.  The cage was bolted to the monocoque body with four
rubber/steel mounts rather like engine mounts (two pieces of steel with
a rubber block bonded between).  On my car 2-1/2 of the mounts came
apart whilst I was running down my twisting mountain road to work one
morning.  There wasn't much left holding things in place.

Chuck Norcutt