[OM] Re: Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:06:33 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> As your guys are talking about the Olympus 12-60's play, I have to express
> my disappointment on the 4/3 system and the High Grade lenses. All come up
> the the E-3 and the focus problem.

I have to admit, this kinda fills me with sadness.  I've just finished
running some more tests, and I still cannot reproduce these focusing
problems with my 12-60 or 50-200.  Did I just luck out and get good
copies?  If so, what does that imply about Olympus' quality control?
Are others not using their AF correctly, or expecting more out of the
contrast-detection system than it's capable of delivering?

I wish I had some hard answers to these questions, but I don't.  I know
my Canon-shooting buddy has had his share of losers when depending on
the AF on his 5D, so I suspect that modern AF systems are starting to
get twitchy and perhaps a tad unreliable as a result.  If so, mebbe
switching to MF in certain low-contrast situations is the only answer,
regardless of camera system.

That would be a bummer.  My eyes aren't getting any younger!

Garth