[OM] Re: Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:32:22 -0700
siddiq@xxxxxxx wrote:

[snip]

> Isn't it phase-detect only, either live-view or viewfinder?

Whoops.  My bad.  Shoulda checked the specs again.

> After the
> F/W update on the body, AF is a bit slower, haven't shot nearly
> enough in critical conditions to notice if any better or not.

Yeah, I've noticed they slowed the AF down a bit (not much, but it seems
to get closer to "optimal" in the first "pulse" of the motors).

> It
> seems I get more positive focus locks when using "normal" area, vs
> "small".

I've always stuck with "small," and to date I'm just not seeing the
failures that others are seeing.  Maybe it's just me.  The drawback with
"small" is that it's *also* more twitchy.

> Again, must go out shooting some more. I thikn on my end
> it's a matter of me understanding how the camera works and using that
> to modify my own technique to get more keepers or faster on the draw,
> or whatnot.

One of the more vocal/influential folks on dpreview (Louis Dobson) has
been fairly forthright about his belief that most of the reported
focusing errors are attributable to user error, which has raised the ire
of quite a few people on dpreview's Oly SLR forum.  It seems that this
issue remains somewhat unresolved (though there's some consensus that
early reports of focus error had a high percentage of user error as the
ultimate explanation).  C.H.'s problems with front-focus sound more
intractable.  I wonder if a full-court press on Oly Japan might help him
out?

Garth