[OM] Re: OT and apropos of nothing whatsoever...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT and apropos of nothing whatsoever...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:02:54 -0500
Well, far be it from me to accept a Mel Gibson movie as presenting the
truth but, in any case, Tarleton was not a nice guy.  Gibson was
certainly stretching the truth but picked on Tarleton for good reason.
 From the Wikipedia article on Tarleton...
One of Tarleton's nemeses in South Carolina was Francis Marion, whom he
could never capture or neutralise. Marion remained quite popular with
South Carolina residents and continued his guerrilla campaign with their
support. Tarleton, by contrast, alienated the citizenry by numerous acts
of cruelty to the civilian population. For example, at one plantation of
a deceased Patriot officer, he had the man's body dug up, then required
the widow to serve him a meal. One of Marion's men later wrote of the
incident:

On one expedition (Nelson's Ferry - Nov. 1780), Tarleton burnt the
house, out houses, corn and fodder, and a great part of the cattle, hogs
and poultry, of the estate of Gen. Richardson. The general had been
active with the Americans, but was now dead; and the British leader, in
civilised times, made his widow and children suffer for the deeds of the
husband and parent, after the manner of the East, and coast of Barbary.
What added to the cruel nature of the act, was that he had first dined
in the house, and helped himself to the abundant good cheer it afforded.
But we have seen before the manner in which he requited hospitality. It
was generally observed of Tarleton and his corps, that they not only
exercised more acts of cruelty than any one in the British army, but
also carried further the spirit of depredation.

Chuck Norcutt