[OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:36:56 -0800
That's an interesting question Gord.  In one sense, I'd like to keep a little
sense of history to the Olympus brand.  It certainly has evolved towards the
digital world as evidenced by the number of entries in the TOPE that are digital
base rather than film.  It's much like having a car club.  You can display old
models of that Corvette, or bring in this year's model, but that shiny Porsche
might be better displayed over at the Porsche club.  Does it reflect on the
capability of the driver of the car?  It shouldn't.

For me, it's like that private car club.  Of course we should remember that
Groucho Marks pointed out that he would not join a club that would allow him to
be a member.

Would I have a fit if we opened it up to other brands?  Nope.  It would just
lose a little cachet that I attribute to the weird folks that like the Oly
brand.  What I would hate to see is the quality of this group or the TOPE to
devolve into the free for all back biting I see in the likes of the 35mm and
digital newsgroups.

Just as long as we do bedroom etiquette - no pointing and laughing.

And of course, Olaf would have to come up with another name for the event.

Jay