[OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:07:40 +0100
Hi again,

Just to rectify something regarding TOPE: it never was intended to be
exclusively for OM cameras, and even in the first TOPEs other
Olympuses were already used (like the Stylus XA). Also, when the
progression was made to digital, it wasn't limited to the E-bodies; as
e.g. the Camedias are perfectly welcome too (in fact, many of my own
contributions have been made with a C2020Z). Likewise, it's not
limited to OM list members. Anyone who used Oly gear for the shot, can
enter their contribution (like e.g. my father participating in some of
the later TOPE events), so Siddiq's friends are perfectly welcome to
participate if they use Oly gear.

Then, regarding the guidelines: it's always going to be difficult for
me to check if people took the pictures within the proper timeframe
and with Oly gear. This, in combination with some contributions that
push the definition of the theme a bit too far perhaps, makes that I
normally apply a pretty flexible attitude towards the entries that are
sent in (pretty much everything gets accepted). IOW, it's o.k. with me
if at times some entries push the definitions somewhat, and the
timelines are mostly indicative (within reasonable limits, of course),
rather than being strict deadlines. Also, I've been allowing the
entries made with Canon bodies equipped with OM lenses.

So, as the gallery is at present, it seems the only pretty strict
requirement is the usage of Oly gear somehow. C.H.'s definition suits
me fine: either the body, or the lens, or both. :)

Then, what Gordon writes also makes sense: though the list is not
officially limited to OM list members, it most definitely was born in
those surroundings, and indeed several photographers have written that
they regretted not being able to participate anymore, as they went to
different digital brands...

I don't like the idea of cross-host splitting the events so much, so
personally I see two good solutions:
1) Leave TOPE 100% as is, and enforce the "C.H. Oly usage rule"
strictly, hence sticking completely with the current TOPE definition.
2) Do the above, but also add a special section for the non-Oly
contributions, hence straying a bit from the official TOPE definition.

I can personally live with both, and I don't mind making something to
realise scenario nr.2, e.g. by creating a division on the index page
of the events, where everything above the line wlll be Oly entries,
and the ones below it will be the non-Oly ones (having a special
subheader, to indicate that it is the non-Oly section).

Would this work for everyone, or are there strong objections against
it, or are there perhaps other good alternatives I'm overlooking?

If accepted, the only thing I can't promise is when it'll be done
exactly, as my spare time is a bit tough to manage properly at
present... :P

Cheers!
Olafo