[OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing

Subject: [OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:59:20 +0000

On 1 Mar 2008, at 10:54, Moose wrote:
>> snip

> Of those, I only know LightRoom. To me, LR merges a browser with a
> partial editor. The way I work, if it's worth converting, it's worth
> going over in ACR => PS. Yes, I know that's time consuming, and limits
> the number of images I can display/print. But it's my time and they
> are
> my images. I'm not on deadline, and I choose to display only those
> images I have gone into to in at least some modest depth. If they
> still
> happen to be crap, at least they are my best crap of the moment.
> Wabi-sabi

Indeed, I agree.  For certain, individual, shots, I want to give it
individual treatment, but there is so much adjustment available in
Aperture (in one way) and LightZone (in a different way) that I am
using the single window in ACR/PS less and less.  And each treatment
can be "saved" individually in Aperture (as a Version) and LightZone
(as a different .lzn file) so that a biff like me can use trial and
error to achieve the best result.

> You do some group/event shots, and perhaps others, casual things and
> snaps, where that approach isn't appropriate, for whatever reason.
> That's fine, and I'm glad you like the sort of application you use. I
> wanted to like LR, and RawShooter, and RawTherapee, which have similar
> set-ups, but I just don't. And I haven't just tried them for a
> couple of
> minutes and thrown up my hands. I've spent hours working with them.
>
> I don't like them for the exact inverse of your reason for liking that
> form; that it doesn't facilitate individual attention - which will
> almost always involve actions that the application doesn't support -
> without more fuss than the alternative.

You carry out more complex treatments than I will normally use.  I
have not set up any Actions in PS, for instance, or any batch
processing in Bridge purely because I don't trust my judgement
sufficiently to let an automated system do its thing; these options
have been available in Graphic Converter (www.lemkesoft.com) for
years, but they have been of little use to me.

Finally, with Aperture I can apply changes to one shot, see that I
like the effect and save those changes as a file to be used on
another; I've not found a use for that yet, perhaps because I don't
have enough shots in a series.

Chris