[OM] Re: DSLR problems (all of 'em)

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLR problems (all of 'em)
From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 15:00:16 -0300
2008/3/2, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ian's latest missive on the possible misalignment of the imaging sensor
>  in his E-3, coupled with stuff I've been hearing/reading over the last
>  six months or so, leads me to an inescapable conclusion: DSLRs may be so
>  complex now that it's almost impossible for any camera maker to produce
>  a body (or lens!) that is consistent and high-quality from sample to sample.

I agree — but then you are talking not about dSLRs in general, only
about the high-end professional grade, full bells-and-whistles models.
 I have an E-510 with no problems at all.

In the end, it may be a problem in big corporations imbalance between
engineering and marketing.  Here is hoping these problems might lead,
for example, to a simpler E-2 or something the like.

I have been using yesterday and today the OM-1, and it is such a
pleasure to hold and shoot.  Give me a Four Thirds non-autofocus
camera, or a Four Thirds rangefinder, and we might be on to something.
 Image stabilisation is great, but is autofocus such a great idea?
What about full manual control of sensibility (ISO/ASA), exposure and
aperture?

>  We've got Oly's issues with their lenses (perceived "wobble" in zooms

Can you point me to these reports?

>  focusing issues

Aren't these fixed now?

> bodies (quality control, incomplete water-sealing on
>  the LCD

Would like to see these reports too.

In the end, perhaps the Leica R10 will be a smash hit; or better yet
the Digilux 4.

--
skype:leandro.gfc.dutra?chat              Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 3040 7300 r155                 gTalk: xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx