[OM] Re: Olympus OM-1n Instructions manual hardcopy availability?

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus OM-1n Instructions manual hardcopy availability?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:31:41 -0500
Unfortunately, I consider that an unwise choice since the T-20 is so
restricted (no bounce, too close to the lens) that you will not learn
what you should other than the T-20 is too restrictive in features to
provide good flash exposures.

There is, however, a simple modification you could make to the T-20
which would considerably improve it for use in a small room with a light
colored ceiling.  Add bounce capability by attaching a thin, white or
aluminum foil card to the bottom edge of the flash head and angle it
upward by 30-45 degrees.  Assure that the card covers at least the full
vertical height of the flash head.  At the top edge of the flash head
attach a similar card angled up from the flash head but still down about
15 degrees forward from the vertical.  The bottom card is to direct most
of the beam up to the ceiling and the top card is to catch a small part
of that and direct it forward.  You could make durable versions of these
cards from thin sheet aluminum such as is used in roof flashing and
other construction tasks.  It will cut easily with heavy scissors, bend
easily but stay bent and be easily attached and detached using small
pieces of velcro.  Glue on pieces of white paper or paint with white
paint.  Just be sure not to cover the "O" in "Olympus" at the front
since the flash sensor is contained inside the center of the "O".

Since the T-20's flash will be well diffused I would suggest using at
least ISO 200 or preferably 400 film.  Otherwise you may find that you
have to shoot at some larger aperture like f/2.8 to get enough light and
be lacking in DOF. But you can check this easily by setting the ISO and
auto aperture range on the flash and then firing it with the test button
to see if the "auto check lamp" comes on after the flash fires.

Dr. Flash