[OM] Re: OM Auto Bellows - Spares - Solution

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Auto Bellows - Spares - Solution
From: "Brynjar Berg" <brynberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:38:41 +0100
Hi John!
Thank you very much for that information.  In view of the prohibitive cost
of transferring money to the U.S. from Norway I decided to make a repair to
the blocks I had.

I machined opposing wedges into the aluminum carrier and the broken off
nylon part and filled the wedges with plastic steel, then held the part in
place until it hardened. (Sketched below, XX denotes plastic steel filled
wedges (slightly steeper angles).)

 ___  ________
|   ||nylon  /
|   /\      /
|  /XX\    /
|  \XX/   /
|   \/   /
|   ||__/_______
|   ||  \break
|   ||   in nylon
|   ||__________
|Aluminum
|_______________

Thus, when tightening the opposing setscrew the broken off part of the nylon
block is held securely in place by the hardened plastic steel wedge with no
movement possible, more securely in place the harder you tighten the
setscrew.

Granted, the spares would be nicer, but the repair is invisible and should
essentially last forever.

Best regards,
Brynjar

John Hermanson wrote:
> I still sell them.  CB1038 (2 per bellows) CB1039 (1 per bellows) $30
> each + S&H.
and
<I should have added that these are 2 parts that (as far as pricing goes)
<Olympus went mercenary on years ago.  Net used to be about $4.50 each.
<I remember when 2-13 screens were still available as a 3Ti repair part
<(LC448100).  One day an order came in, had 17 screens in it, my wife
<(the book keeper) said "should I pay this focus screen bill for $1700?
<Holy sh*t, the day before, the screens HAD been about $15 ea.  $15 to
<$100 in one jump.  I may have over reacted, but a quick email to the
<Olympus CEO got that price back in line.