[OM] Re: Spring is here

Subject: [OM] Re: Spring is here
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:33:11 -0800
Mike wrote:
>> our very own volunteer flowering currant, a native species.
>>
> Yours appears to be a bit different from ours up here Moose. (ribes
> sanguineum)
Hmmm... That's what I've been thinking it may be, but the pink variant,
/*Ribes sanguineum*/ *var. /glutinosum/
<http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=7142>*.
<http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=7142>

There are numerous shots here, many of which look just like mine.
<http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/img_query?where-taxon=Ribes+sanguineum+var.+glutinosum&where-anno=1>
> March blooming heralds arrival of the hummingbirds.
We have Anna's all year, Allen's for the season, Rufus on their way North.
> Seems the La Niña has set spring back about two weeks or more here. Of the
> earliest native spring flowers Blue'eyed Marys are just beginning to show. Of
> course the imports like crocus and cherries have been at it for a while
> albeit later than normal.
Most of the ornamental fruit trees have gone in to blossom. I haven't
taken pics of the plum and almond (?) in the back yard, but here's
Mattie's cherry.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=crw_0213_16cri.jpg>

The magnolias are much more individually variable in coming into bloom.
This one was just starting three weeks ago. I'll bet it a riot now.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=IMG_0109ii.jpg>
> I tried out the 135 macro with the new firmware with reasonable results.
> However @ 270mm equiv. hand holding is marginal.
Is it me? I get a lot of keepers at 300/6.3. And on the 300D, or
cropped, that's 480mm eq. I do pour on the iso as needed to keep up the
shutter speed.

Moose