[OM] Re: Narrow DoF on the E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Narrow DoF on the E-3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:49:21 -0800
Richard Man wrote:
> The Sigma supposedly has QC problems, and the Leica is huge. I don't
> need AF for 1.4 shots so a small fast lens would be great.

Part of the issue is mechanical. About the shortest you can make a
non-retrofocus lens for FF is maybe 38mm, depending on camera specifics.
Otherwise, the mirror would hit the rear element. So all the older
designs shorter than that in SLR mount are either slow or large,
sometimes both.

As newer lenses are designed by third party makers for smaller sensors,
you would think the minimum fl for small and fast would go down to
something like 20mm. However, they are designing these lenses primarily
to cover the big market for APS size sensors, Nikon DX, Canon EF-S, and
so on, and have to clear the larger mirrors on those bodies.

I've just made these speculations based on simple logic, but it may be
that there are other factors at work with the smaller sensor cameras
that further limit the fl. The facts that the Sigma, which also covers
the APS size, is 30mm and the 25mm Leica is huge may mean that the
possibility of small, fast and short is limited by optics and mechanics
on DSLRs.

I think about the only hope of something small, light and fast shorter
than the Sigma is if Oly decides the market is big enough for such a
lens and remembers the small, light, credo of the original OMs.

Moose