[OM] Re: Zone 10 gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: Zone 10 gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:42:16 -0800
Jim Couch at home wrote:
> Actually, I have been reading. I also do understand that final
> sharpening is done for final display setting. It is the actual practice
> and execution that I need work on. I have to admit that the thought of
> reading an entire book on sharpening is a bit daunting!

As I believe I wrote, should have, anyway; sharpening for smaller web
images is tricky. The reason is that the ideal halo width becomes less
than one pixel, so no sharpening often isn't enough and even a little
may be too much.

The other troublesome thing about finding the right amount/settings is
the time factor of trying over and over.

My solution to both is to sharpen, leaning toward too much, on a
separate layer on top. I can then adjust the effect with the opacity
slider. That allows something between 1 and 0 pixel halo, in effect, and
can adjust the amount without redoing.

Just as important to me, working on a layer allows me to flip the
sharpening on and off while looking at the effect on different parts of
the image. It also allows masking to vary the sharpening by area of the
image.

A. Sharp Moose