[OM] If you had to choose 1 lens:

Subject: [OM] If you had to choose 1 lens:
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:30:29 -0500
Well, the horse trip is quickly approaching. I may dare to try and
bring a small OM kit on the day we visit the Monarch sanctuary in
Mexico. The trip is much shorter than usual and in the reduced time
want to try and get a bunch of nice images, if possible.
Marnie will have the Moose approved sensor/lens combo in the G9 , with
my XA on board and a couple OM bodies with yet to be determined lenses/
accessories back at the place we will stay with some of it possibly in
the jeep whcih may meet us for lunch.

I have a recently john CLA'a OM2N that I could risk on horseback for a
day (4T will be safe in Lowepro). So for a full day of jostling/dust
dare I risk a 50 f2? I can hear Marnie now saying I've already violated
my own "Gordon's first law of equestrian sports"---(never underestimate
a horse's ability to make you look like a idiot)
The 50 f2 essentially provides its own hood and is fairly compact. I
don't have a small normal range zoom of nice quality
though I could use an odd Sigma 30-70 with some reasonable macro
ability that is OK stopped down a biit.
Also the 85 F2 with a couple ext tubes might be just the ticket. The
Viv s1 90 might be too big but is in the running.
the Z 135 with tube looks simple and tough (perhaps with Porta 400 for
that FL) but might take up too much space.
The G9 can handle the longer shots with the approx 200mm with IS.
Perhaps a nice flora tope shot awaits, if the pesky Monarchs don't hog
the show. I do recall Jeff K's nice shot of the Monarchs with the Tam
400.
Well, perhaps not the best choice for this.
I'll probably ziplock the kit/bubble wrap and put it in a yet to be
purchased small backpack of some sort. I recall crossing a rain swollen
stream a couple years ago where the horse stepped in a hole resulting
in an unwanted swim.
Any comments appreciated. I will try and post anything decent.

Mike