[OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy

Subject: [OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:10:22 -0500
Thanks for the info about Microsync slaves.  I'd never heard of them.
That caused me to go to B&H and do a search on radio slaves
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8007/Slave_Units_Accessories_Radio_Infrared_Slaves.html>
which returned that and some other brands I knew about but had forgotten
about.  Strangely, the Elinchrom line doesn't show up although B&H sells
them.  There are also some relabeled Chinese models there (Impact,
Photogenic, Speedotron) you can buy on ebay (without the relabel) for a
fraction of the B&H price.

I do like my Sekonic L-358 very much except that the shutter
speed/aperture/ISO dial turns the wrong way.  I bought it from B&H at a
time that Sekonic was having a sale that included the Pocket Wizard
transmitter module.  But I have never been willing to spring for the
cost of Pocket Wizards.  I have used it a number of times with borrowed
Pocket Wizards and it works fine but doesn't have the full range of a
Pocket Wizard transmitter.  I've read on more than one occasion that the
range is only about 30 feet but Sekonic claims up to 100 feet and I'm
sure I've gotten it to work OK in an unobstructed area at probably close
to that.

But the cheap ebay slaves, while not as convenient, work just as well
within their range.  Just use the short PC cord that comes with the
radio slaves to attach the transmitter to the PC socket on the flash meter.

Dr. Flash