[OM] Gigapan and E420 ?

Subject: [OM] Gigapan and E420 ?
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 01:55:33 -0800 (PST)
Have a look at this interesting photo sharing of gigapan pix (Beta version of
web pix browser
currently) and web browsing software:

http://www.gigapan.org/?window_height=791&window_width=1259

Gigpan is an interesting very high resolution automated pan and stitch
platform, aimed at creating
gigabit sized pics using any smallish digi p/s camera.  In general it is not
capable in present
form, of using the heavier DSLRs. However, the new E420 might just be small
enough with a choice
of lighter lens, of being used on it as well?

Have a careful lok on the ggapan site at pictures with relatively large
pictures of people in, and
then zoom in and see the stitching where people have moved slightly.
example :
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=70

Here is hardware: http://www.charmedlabs.com/

Gigapan has connections with Google Earth, so we will see more of this getting
into Google earth
browser.

pop phot article:
http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/4684/charmed-labs-launches-panoramic-camera-platform-beta.html
lists initial price of $279

============================

Here is their description:

GigaPan is the newest development of the Global Connection Project, which aims
to help us meet our
neighbors across the globe, and learn about our planet itself. GigaPan will
help bring distant
communities and peoples together through images that have so much detail that
they are,
themselves, the objects of exploration, discovery and wonder. We believe that
enabling people to
explore, experience, and share each other's worlds can be a transforming
experience. Our mission
is to make all aspects of the GigaPan experience accessible and affordable to
the broadest
possible community.

GigaPan consists of three technological developments: a robotic camera mount
for capturing very
high-resolution (gigapixel and up) panoramic images using a standard digital
camera; custom
software for constructing very high-resolution gigapixel panoramas; and, a new
type of website for
exploring, sharing and commenting on gigapixel panoramas and the detail our
users will discover
within them. The GigaPan website allows hosting and sharing all kinds of
panoramas, and so the
robotic GigaPan mount is recommended but is certainly not required to be part
of this community.

In addition to the individual user community, we have are working with a number
of partners,
including The World (BBC/WGBH), and projects like the Pennsylvania Civil War
Trails. Stay tuned
for announcements about several other professional and educational applications
of GigaPan which
are currently in development. We hope to disseminate the GigaPan technology as
broadly as possible
for cultural and environmental understanding and for education.

5Gigapan is a partnership between Charmed Labs, Carnegie Mellon Robotics
Institute, NASA Ames
Intelligent Robotics Group, and Google. "Giga" stands for many, or billions of
pixels, and "pan"
as in panorama. One of the primary goals of Gigapan is to capture stunning
panoramic images of our
world using technology that is afforable to the ordinary consumer.

Tim Hughes