[OM] Re: Gigapan and E420 ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Gigapan and E420 ?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:26:12 +0800
Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Gigpan is an interesting very high resolution automated pan and stitch
> platform, aimed at creating
>  gigabit sized pics using any smallish digi p/s camera.  In general it is not
> capable in present
>  form, of using the heavier DSLRs. However, the new E420 might just be small
> enough with a choice
>  of lighter lens, of being used on it as well?

What lens is optimal for panos? My guess would be about 200 mm on 35 mm.

Using the calculator at http://www.imaginatorium.org/stuff/angle.htm and just
looking at horizontal angles for 35 mm film,

200 mm --> 10 degrees
 50        -->  40
 35       --->  54
 28        -->  65

So allowing some loss for overlap, you'd need around 6-10 shots along each
axis to cover perspectives that wide. With a robotic handler to manage the
movement, this seems doable.

However, I'm just speculating here. Anyone got actual experience to go by?

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China