[OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:24:04 -0400
I was also going to point out John Lind's tutorial on covering weddings
since it's very good and fairly through.  But, having shot quite a few
weddings professionally, I am also amongst those who would suggest that
you not do it.  Not that you can't do a good job at it... it's just that
it's extremely difficult to be both a conscientious photographer and
also a participant in the wedding... you may end up not enjoying either.

My son's wedding was handled by a pro hired by the bride's family and my
daughter's wedding was handled by a pro hired by me.  For an even
simpler event (my father's 80th birthday party) I still hired a pro
(Gary Reese, a former member of this list) not because I couldn't handle
it but because I wanted to enjoy the party.  Also, hiring a pro doesn't
have to cost thousands of dollars.  It shouldn't be too hard to find
someone who will do all the shooting digitally and provide you with a
set of images on CD without the expense of a professional album.  Just
be sure the CD or DVD is gold or else copy it to multiple gold discs
very soon to be sure you get something of archival quality.  Someone who
will readily sell you all his images is probably more likely to be an
amateur rather than experienced wedding photographer but you can still
find one; you just have to look a little harder and deeper.  I have one
friend who would never shoot a wedding this way and another friend who
will only do it this way.

If you still decide to do it yourself you need to decide not on one
camera but which two of the three SLR's you're going to take.  Likewise
the flashes.  You'll need both.  The reason is that weddings always
demand backup equipment.  That means backup everything including
batteries, cables, etc. etc.  Anything that can fail just might fail.
Since it's a once in a lifetime event you can't afford to have your OM-1
suddenly come down with wind problems because it has greasy latches.
You need to have an instant backup.

I would suggest that you take the OM-1 as the main camera since I think
you'll find the 35-105 the most useful lens assuming there's good light.
  Then take whichever other camera you're most comfortable with as a
backup and equip it with a 50mm lens.  In fact I would take a 50mm for
both cameras because either one can serve in a pinch as the only lens
and also provides you with a faster lens in the case of low light.  If
you take the Nikon you could also take the 70-210 but I would suggest
that you not worry about that if it ends up staying in the bag.  You
might get a chance to use it, you might not.  But changing lenses will
be something to be avoided unless there's a real lull in the action.
You might want to keep the 35-105 on the OM-1 and a 50 on either of the
other cameras and carry both and shoot with both.

Got to run to an appointment right now knowing that I haven't covered a
lot of stuff and particularly flash.  You also need to run a few rolls
of film through these cameras to test them out and be sure they're
working properly.  Sluggish shutter or lens diaphragm is not to be
discovered an hour ahead of the ceremony.

Chuck Norcutt