[OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding
From: "J. Van Brimmer" <om1md@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:26:24 -0700
I'm replying to my OP so as to make it a general reply to all.

I will have another talk with my son tonight to see if there's any way
possible for me to get out of this. I know the bride's parents fairly
well, and I don't think they are in any better condition financially
than I am, but maybe we can split the cost of a pro. I really do
understand most of your concern about me not doing the photography
myself. In fact, that was my first reaction too. I just don't want them
to end up with no more than a bunch of amateur digital P&S shots from
the audience. I'll have to find out whether or not they'll hire someone
if I don't do it. I don't want to refuse, and then find out later that
they didn't hire anyone.

I thank you all for your comments, I really do take them to heart.

--jerry

Quoting Jerry <om1md@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: Jerry once said:

> Hi Everyone,
>

> Hi, my name is Jerry and I'm going to be shooting my youngest son's
> wedding in July. This is going to be my very first wedding and I'm a
> little nervous about it. I'm seeking some advice, tips, suggestions,
> etc. First of all, this is not going to be a high cost wedding. The
> wedding is going to be in southern California, on a grassy ledge
> overlooking the beach, under a gazebo, sometime during the afternoon.
> Attendance has to be limited due to restrictions by the land owners. I
> suspect the head count to be between 50 and 75.
>
> Now, for equipment I don't own, nor can I afford to buy a DSLR. I still
> live in the Dark Ages. Cameras I have that I could use: 1) OM1n, 2)
> Nikon FG, 3) Pentax KX/KM, 4) Olympus XA2, and for a digital P&S, a
> Kodak DX6340. I know this is funny, but please don't laugh; at least not
> so loud that I can hear you. :)
>
> For flash, I have a Metz 45-CL4, and a Vivitar 283.
>
> For lenses I have: for the OM1n I have a 50, a 35-105 and a 75-150
> lenses. For the FG I have a 70 - 210 plus a 50. For the Pentax I only
> have 50mm lenses. Between now and the wedding I could, if need be, buy a
> lens or two.
>
> My first inclination is to use the OM1n, with Winder 2, and the Zuiko 35
> - 105 lens, with the Metz 45 flash for the outdoor shooting. With this
> setup and ASA 200 film, I can still reach out to 35 to 40 feet, which I
> *think* will be far enough. After the wedding, there will be a dinner
> indoors at a nearby restaurant. Will the 35-105, at 35mm, be suitable
> indoors, or should I get something wider? I will probably also use the
> Kodak for some of the indoor shots. For a cheap P&S, it takes very good
> photos. Is there any other low cost equipment that I absolutely must
> have?
>
> I do have a motor drive for the FG, but the only flash I can use with it
> is a Nikon SB-15. Not enough power, I'm afraid.
>
> So, there you have it. My mediocre equipment list and the task at hand.
> Please recommend a film to use, color and/or black & white. I will most
> likely be sending the film out to some lab (recommendations?) that can
> also produce CDs. Also, please advise as to what shots to be sure and
> not miss. So please advise away, I really want to get some good photos
> for these kids.
>

> Thanks,
> Jerry

One Happy Snappy,