[OM] Re: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Just got around to updating the journal...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:30:21 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

> I was using Raw Shooter Essentials for E-300 raw (on Ag Schnozz's
> recommendation) and that wasn't blindingly fast on my relatively slow
> machine, but since it doesn't support the E-510 raw I thought I should try
> the Oly product which came "free" with the camera (maybe that's a hint !).
> Apart from it's slowness I think the UI is awful too.
>
> So, I'd be interested in what others are using and liking for E-? raw
> conversion.

I'm not using anything for E-thingie conversion. I can, however, point
you to something using much the same UI metaphor as RSE, Lightroom, etc.

RawTherapee will do all the E-thingies actually released at the moment.
I was pleased with the results for RAW images from the Canon A710. I'll
admit I basically used all the adjustments very little, just enough to
get a balanced histogram. Anyway, hard to beat for free.
<http://www.rawtherapee.com/>

For pure batch processing, it's hard to beat dcraw.
<http://www.cybercom.net/%7Edcoffin/dcraw/> It's what I'm forced to use
for A650 RAW files until other apps like RawTherapee that use more or
less of the dcraw code inside issue updates. It's strictly command line,
but quite powerful and does excellent conversions.

Moose