[OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:41:01 +1000
Dan Mitchell wrote:
> But how do you deal with a folder full of RAW images? Windows Explorer
> doesn't do thumbnails for those...

I know that the "Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer" you can get
from Microsoft doesn't work with my c5050z ORF (raw) files, however it
does create thumbnails in Ecplorer for Canon CRW (raw) files (and, I
believe, Nikon).

(Note, this applies to Windows XP - I believe with Vista there is
support for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, and DNG raw files)

Separately, Irfanview can display RAW images (ORF and CRW), assuming you
download the relevant plugin (pretty easy - you can get a whole lot of
plugins in one zip file). It also has a Thumbnail view for browsing your
directories, though since most of my RAW photos are from the Canon, I
tend just to use Windows Explorer.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz