[OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:56:29 -0700
Marc Lawrence wrote:
> Dan Mitchell wrote:
>
>> But how do you deal with a folder full of RAW images? Windows Explorer
>> doesn't do thumbnails for those...
>>
> I know that the "Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer" you can get from
> Microsoft doesn't work with my c5050z ORF (raw) files, however it does create
> thumbnails in Explorer for Canon CRW (raw) files (and, I believe, Nikon).

Does CR2 files too.
> (Note, this applies to Windows XP - I believe with Vista there is support for
> Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, and DNG raw files)

Nope. The situation is actually worse in Vista's Explorer. It does not
display thumbnails for my CRW and CR2 files.  And, at least when I
checked some months ago, the add-on thumbnail/viewer you mention for XP
wouldn't work with Vista.

I don't much care, as I use FastStone, or, as you say, could use
IrfanView, as my image file browser.

Moose