[OM] Re: OT: Canon TTL Flash Was: FL-36R features an optical slave?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Canon TTL Flash Was: FL-36R features an optical slave?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:43:21 -0400
Hint, hint.  The latest and greatest Canyon e-TTL flash, the 580EX II,
has re-introduced the normal flash controlled auto mode which has been
missing for many, many years.  It has re-introduced 35 year-old
technology and is now... advanced.  ;-)

The smartshooter procedure says don't even try to do TTL fill flash.
What they were doing for non-fill flash was just setting the aperture 1
stop below ambient so they got a slightly darker background ambient
exposure while the flash added enough extra light to bring the
foreground to correct exposure.  They were counting on the TTL control
to expose for the difference.

Chuck Norcutt