[OM] Re: OT - How is this done ?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - How is this done ?
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:54:31 -0500
Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Completely OT except the image was made with an E-510 & Zuiko Digital 50/2.
>
> I bought this glass ornament/paperweight at the local op shop.  It stands
> about 80mm high.  Inside it has two 3-D flowers which look like they are
> "etched".  The flowers probably have 10mm of glass (minimum) around them.
> Can anyone suggest how it might be made ?
>
> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/images/20080315-A-060-a.jpg
>
> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/images/20080315-A-060-b.jpg

Yep -- it's done with computers and lasers.  If that's a replica of a
real flower, then the original flower is scanned with a 3-d
scanner/digitizer.  Otherwise, it's a 3-d digital model created
completely in a computer.

That data is then fed into a laser etcher, which consists of 2
tightly-focused lasers in an X-Y configuration firing into the crystal
block.  Where they intersect, the heat created causes a tiny fracture in
the crystal, making a visible "pixel".  The lasers continue scanning
through the block until the entire digital file is "etched" into the
middle of the block.

I LOVE those things.  At first, they were scarce and very expensive
($100-$200 each), and only 2-D.  And the only etching lasers came from
Russia.

Then other companies learned how to make the cutters, and the 3-D
technology developed, and now you can find them at truck stops for $12.
  I have about a half-dozen of them, including one of the Queen Mary,
the original one my wife and I got from Disneyworld in 2000 with our
faces in 2-D, and one with Brian from the animated series "Family Guy".

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon