[OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:16:09 -0600
Moose wrote:
> Oops, in case you didn't read the FAQ and docs, RT will use the VNG-4
> demosaicing algorithm on demand, which is supposed to work better for
> Oly files. dcraw, and who knows which others, will use VNG-4
> automatically for ORF files unless you specify something else.

  It's not the demosaicing -- it's that RT seems to pump up dark bits of
the image unexpectedly, and as noise shows up more in the shadows, it
winds up with images looking noisier than with other raw developers. All
I need to do is work out what to do to the default settings, and it'll
be fine, though.

>> .... Oh, and also free is UFRaw, the gimp plugin -- this works well, nice
>> results, reasonable UI (though it's missing 1:1 view for some strange
>> reason) and it'll dump the end result straight into GIMP for further
>> editing, but is missing a thumbnail view when opening files which is a bit
>> of a pain.
>>
> Try Faststone. Free, fast, flexible viewer that you can set to open
> whatever editor(s) you want.

  I did try that once, and couldn't get along with it -- it seems nice
enough, but I really don't like skinned UI on applications so I stuck
with irfanview; there's the 'set external editor' option in there if I
want it, and my muscle memory is too trained for irfanview by now..

  -- dan