[OM] Re: Flash references

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash references
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
The E series seems to be safe **on the external sync terminal** for even High
voltage (as
discussed here a number of times), but that may or may not be true on the
hot-shoe which often is
at least partly isolated from the pc terminal. So the the hot shoe *might* be
subject to some
voltage limit, if you want to be conservative. When they are limited, vendors
often add voltage
protection against old flashes anyway.

The CT60-1 itself is limited to 25V on the hotshoe connector or ext sync
connector cable by
aninternal zenner diode. The peak transient current at trigger is a very low
~2mA and continuous
current about 1/10 of that.

The CT60-4 voltage on sync terminal of the SCA321 adapter depends on internal
design and I have
not measured it or looked at the adapter design. Chuck's web reference is for
the EOS SCA adapter
which might **or might not be similar**.
Just measure the voltage on the middle hotshoe pin of the SCA321 if you are
really worried.
I would guess there is not problem using it.

>> But the SCA321 thing will be useless on the E-510 and you'll need a hot shoe
>> to PC adapter to
> connect a PC cord between camera and flash.
<<

Well it will only be useless in the sense it wont work TTL like it does on an
OM body.  The SCA321
should work just fine in the hotshoe to trigger the flash and the quench pins
don't connect to the
E series flash pins as the layout is different. **You definitely don't need a
seperate sync cord
adapter**  Remember though, when it is combined with a dedicted flash or with
one of the built in
dedicated flashes on the Eseries bodies (if enabled), you always get additional
preflash triggers
which would make the Metz trigger at the wrong time.  That is one of the things
I am building into
units I am modifying,a selectable circuit to trigger correctly when digital
dedicated flashes are
used as a combination. Unlike Chuck I do sometimes combine a dedicated flash
with a non-dedicated.
I use the non-dedicated for background fill (ceiling/wall bounce etc at ~2stops
below selected
aperture) and dedicated flash on auto for the main subject matter (close to the
camera). The
CT60-4 of course has a second sub flash head, so it even works for direct and
bounce flash
combined, when used on its own.

Tim Hughes