[OM] Re: Not-so positive DZ news...

Subject: [OM] Re: Not-so positive DZ news...
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:43:11 -0400
C.H.Ling wrote:
> My feel about their quality is based on some of the lenses I have sold for a
> friend, he still owning lots of Pentax gears, he complain about the plastic
> feel of the 16-45. The 50/1.4 and 135/2.8 doesn't look smart to my eyes.
Those are out of production, with the 50mm being out since '04. The 55mm
f1.4, 16-50 f2.8, 17-70 f/4, and others are replacing them. Older Pentax
lenses (and bodies) from the 90's had some clunkers in terms of build
materials. Pentax was getting pretty close to going out of business back
then.

Interestingly, Sigma is introducing a number of HSM lenses including the
announced 50mm f1.4 HSM, along with "OS" lenses where the user decides
to use either  in-lens, or in-body stabilization avoiding element
decentering effects.

> Many of their zooms are from Tokina, the 16-45, 50-135/2.8, 12-24... Have a
> look on the Tokina 50-135 and 12-24 you will see what I mean, may be you
> will like the look of Pentax but the Tokina version look better to my eyes.
>
> C.H.Ling

Pentax and Tokina only share optical design resources. The Pentax lenses
are built in their own factory, and have completely different
mechanicals, with some being weathersealed, internal motor/screw drive
combinations, metal internal barrels, etc.

Looks are another matter. I'm not saying I like or don't like the looks
of the Pentax lenses, I just haven't thought about it.

Larry