[OM] Re: Warning, Art Photography.

Subject: [OM] Re: Warning, Art Photography.
From: "Tom Fenwick" <super.wide@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:04:22 +0000
On 21/03/2008, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, oh, me too. I've been meaning to say how much I like your London
>  gallery....
snip
>  There are others I like and a couple that didn't grab me, but enough's
>  enough.

Many thanks for all this detail - great to read.

>  My eyes seem to be in hyper-vigilant mode for linear distortion lately.
>  A few of your shots are such perfect graphic creations that I really
>  noticed the, admittedly moderate, barrel distortion of the lens and some
>  perspective distortion. Also, a couple of skies show vignetting quite a bit.
>
>  So I couldn't keep my hands off. These aren't meant to be better vs.
>  worse, just alternative viewpoints.

  <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Fenwick>

Nice work - thanks.  Although I wouldn't have minded if you'd turned
them all upside down and toned them green once you'd used the phrase
"perfect graphic creations" :-D

I'm definitely with you on the distortion - really for those kinds of
pictures I should correct it, but so far it's enough to know that it's
possible.  I went through a phase of correcting perspective on my
black and white stuff, but I'm getting lazy now and doing what I can
in Lightroom and leaving it at that.  If I ever try to hang these
anywhere I'll go to town on them.

I could try the 7-14 for this stuff, but it's the size and simplicity
of the 21/2 that has me carrying the camera everywhere, so I don't
know if it would work.  I'm looking forward to some new primes too - I
have paid a deposit for the 25/2.8 when it appears, and I'll be first
in the queue for anything wider when it appears.

I really like what you have done with the light in the last couple as
well - I did a bit but you have gone further.  I didn't really mind
about the vignetting as those two were shot at f2 from the back of a
moving car as the light faded fast - if it wasn't for the IS I would
have a 5D now, not an E-3.  I'm fairly happy now that for my purposes
it was the right choice.

Thanks again,

Tom