[OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds

Subject: [OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:52:41 -0400
OS/2 v2.0 was the first version of OS/2 to implement the 386's 32-bit
flat memory model.  There was still some 16 bit code around and
especially in device drivers but the OS can't run on a 286 with its
segmented memory architecture.  The 386 will run 286 code but not
vice-versa.

But don't get me started on Intel architecture.  Intel processors and
(mostly) 8-bit support chips were chosen for the first PC by IBM
engineering based on familiarity and proven robustness on prior
products.  No software guy would have chosen Intel's segmented 16 bit
architecture when the 32-bit Motorola 68000 was already available.
Unfortunately, the 68000's support chips were deemed too new at the time
to be considered reliable.

Chuck Norcutt