[OM] Re: Geeks and nerds (That can't be OT in this crowd.)

Subject: [OM] Re: Geeks and nerds (That can't be OT in this crowd.)
From: "John A. Lind" <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 06:48:07 -0500
Ian Manners wrote:
> You'd only have to fill the empty shelves again :-)

Already headed in that direction.  Finished installing a 320GB SATA
drive to replace a 250GB PATA drive in Machine #1 today.  Took a while
to clone the smaller drive's partition to the newer one.  Wondering now
why I didn't go SATA a while back.  While doing that I noticed the BIOS
needed an update, so that was taken care of as well.

Next up this weekend is replacing the motherboard, u-processor and hard
drive in Machine #2 which has an HDTV tuner (it's primary use is as an
HDTV and HD-DVR).  It will end up with the same architecture as Machine
#1.  All the left-overs from that will trickle down to Machine #3 (the
backup box).  Slowly accumulating the parts trickling down to build a
Machine #4 and #5.  One will go to my brother who is using a Sun Ultra
60 workstation and Solaris as a "home" computer.  A respectable machine
if loaded up with multiple processors. Not much "consumer" software made
for the Sun boxes though!  The other will go to my other half's parents
who are still clinging to a Win98 box with a 500 MHz AMD K6-II inside,
256MB RAM and a 40 GB drive.  Quadrupled their RAM and replaced their
original 2 GB drive a couple years ago.  They have DSL and it's
hilarious to watch that machine on a broadband internet connection.
Faster than the WinModem the thing came with, but their DSL connection
is most definitely *not* the bottleneck.

Don't laugh too hard about the in-laws' old Win98 box; you'd be amazed
at the number of folks still using Win95 machines on dial-up accounts
while cursing about having to drink the internet through a hollow coffee
swizzle stick.

Gratuitous Photo Related Content:
I'll be taking some photos of the mobo/micro/hard-drive transplant tomorrow.

-- John