[OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds

Subject: [OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:46:15 -0400
The PS/2 model 50 was originally built with just a 286.  But it was
notable as a brilliant piece of mechanical engineering done by one
fairly young engineer (mid 20's) whose name I can't recall.  It could be
totally disassembled without any tools save for a small plastic tool
about 2" long that was attached inside the case.  Funny, I can't
remember exactly what it was used for.  It wasn't truly necessary but
did make the one job that it was designed for easier without risking a
broken finger nail.  Since you have one you probably know what it is.

Similar designs I'm sure have been done by many since but, AFAIK, it was
the first PC that didn't need at least a screwdriver to get it apart.  I
believe the model 70 was the first PS/2 that sported a 386 and I think
it shared the same case or at least the same case design.

Chuck Norcutt