[OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds

Subject: [OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:03:16 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Leandro DUTRA wrote:
>> 2008/3/23, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>  On a 286, protected mode and real mode are incompatible.
>> […]
>>> It's the reason that Bill Gates was quoted as saying the
>>>  286 was a "brain dead" processor.
>> Bear in mind he was trying to protect his proprietary lock-in, which
>> revolved around running real mode applications.  Had he stuck to the
>> original open-systems plan around Xenix, the 80286 would have been a
>> perfectly good processor.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about here.  I've been talking about
> OS/2 which was developed by IBM and not by Bill Gates to protect "his
> proprietary lock-in".

Actually, OS/2 was co-developed between IBM and Microsoft.  IBM wanted
to develop something better than Windows, but Microsoft was scared of
losing the licensing agreement with IBM.  So, Gates and Ballmer agreed
to "help" IBM "develop" OS/2.  Ballmer referred to it as "Riding the Bear".

As a result, early versions of OS/2 were severely crippled --
Microsoft's guys saw to it that it wasn't a serious contender to
Windows.  It didn't really shine until IBM took over development and cut
the ties to Microsoft.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon