[OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds

Subject: [OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:20:55 +0100
Le dimanche 23 Mars 2008 10:59, Ian Manners a écrit :
> Hi Sandy,
>
> > Will Warp run under VMware?
>
> I believe it does, I can remember someone on an OS/2 list or in
> the NG's had it running. I do know it works under VirtualPC, at
> least the versions before MS bought the program :-(

It doesn't on standard VMware, because OS/2 makes extensive use of the 2nd
ring in the intel microprocessors, which VMw can't emulate correctly. This
said, a specific beta version was issued specificaly to be used with OS/2,
but there was not enough market force to drive its evolution. So either you
get hold of that specific beta and cope with the bugs, or you use VirtualPC.
Another choice (free as in speech and beer) is Qemu. The install process is
not really straightforward, but tere are recipes out there.

--
Manuel Viet