[OM] [OT] any structural engineers on the list

Subject: [OM] [OT] any structural engineers on the list
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:44:46 +0100
I have been busy with the renovations and extension at the house but
still following the list, but have not bothered to see why my post about
E-3 raw in aperture and my theory on the tilted sensor issue post went
missing - anyway totally of topic but I know how the list enjoys such
things and is full of experts ;-)

They have now fitted the roof to our extension, it is a substantial
construction of thick wooden beams - I haven't measure them yet but I am
guessing 25cm (12") thick however what puzzles me is the puny joint they
have made (tenon if I remember correctly) see here

http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/613944#271142318

it is maybe 5cm or two inches thick - I am not an expert and I am sure
the shear strength is enough but if I had done it I would have made the
joint 50/50
here are some pictures from a wider angle

http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/613944#271142465
and even wider
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/613944#271142622

and a view from above (excuse the distortion it was at 7mm end
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/613944_WsNbX#271142813

the plywood boards they put on top were about an inch (25mm) thick and
will spread the load but somehow to me it seems either the beams are to
thick or the joints to thin

am I wrong