[OM] Re: [OT] any structural engineers on the list

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] any structural engineers on the list
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:05:19 -0400
Sorry, I'm no structural engineer but I do know what a tenon is and
that's not what you're showing us.  What you have is a single heavy beam
and many more joists which are all "butt joined" to their headers.
See the definition here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_joint>
and in particular scroll down to "light frame building construction".

This is a tenon which fits into a mortise or mortice
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenon>

Your butt joined joists are probably just nailed in endwise through the
header where the outside of the header is accessible or "toe-nailed"
otherwise.  If this was current US construction the joist would likely
be installed with joist hangers which makes for a more easily built and
stronger joint:
<http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27-110-joist-hangers.aspx>

These photos illustrate "post and beam" construction using mortise and
tenon joinery with no nails.  Frequently still used in barn construction
around here but not so often in houses anymore except very expensive
ones.  <http://www.mainebarncompany.com/photo-gallery.asp>

Chuck Norcutt